[GRLUG] LaTeX books

John Harig radiodurans at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 10:40:15 EDT 2008

Yes your best bet is to is to access the many free
books online like Mr. Mol suggests.  I did a
presentation on LaTeX at the wmlug a couple months
ago.

I do have the LaTeX Companion Box Set, but since new
packages are coming all the time, and I think they are
on LaTeX 3 now, you are better off accessing the
documentation.  It's nice having a reference book for
commands, but they really aren't better or offer
anything more than the free online stuff (but I
contributed to the project buy buying).

Make sure you have TeXLive -

http://www.tug.org/texlive/

And then for the absolute beginner I would first
suggest:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX

http://tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf

And this guy assembled some book links (not all free):

http://www.macrotex.net/texbooks/

Then decided what kind of document you want to build
and head over to the ctan archives for keyword search
etc.  And just read the documentation for the package
you want to use:

http://www.ctan.org/search.html

There is also a free beginners magazine with articles
online:

http://www.tug.org/pracjourn/

There is also a LyX frontend that uses LaTeX as an
engine if you want to try a more "visual" approach
first (though .lyx files are in their own separate
format/language).

http://www.freebookcentre.net/SoftwareEng/Free-Tex-Latex-Books-Download.html