[GRLUG] My review of Ubuntu 7.10: Gooey Gumdrop

John Harig radiodurans at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 00:24:34 EDT 2007

i went to debian testing after playing around with
tribe5 a few weeks ago. . . compiz is still pretty
unstable and i dont think it should be packaged in any
stable distribution.  ubuntu seems to be getting more
bloated the further it develops away from its debian
origins.  the reason i ran it in the beginning was
because it was basically debian with better hardware
support and documentation.

im somewhat on the fence over compiz even if it were
more stable ... it is nice to show others how wasting
system resources looks much more cool when compared to
microsoft alternatives . . .  but any minutely
practical person can see that using more cpu cycles
just so your windows shake like jello wont do increase
your productivity . . .  and it tends to drains
battery life at a faster rate.  a basic windows
manager works best for me.