[GRLUG] 64bit Linux

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 14:43:53 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Raymond McLaughlin <driveray at ameritech.net> wrote:

> Collin Kidder wrote:
>
> The machine still can dual boot, but I haven't bothered in several
> weeks. So far I've stayed with the 64 bit mostly "because it's there".
>
> I'm thinking of doing some time trials between the two at. Say mpg
> encoding, which is the kind of thing at which the 64 bit is supposed to
> shine. But for my own day to day use the difference hasn't really been
> worth the time spent worrying about it.

Just for discussion's sake,  where would
one expect a 64-bit CPU to shine on a
PC other than the place you mention, and
maybe games.   In a more expensive
machine, like a server,  one could imagine
taking advantage of wider buses on a
64-bit CPU,  which would affect performance
significantly.  But other than bus bandwidth,
and the computations you mention,  and
use in games,  with appropriate performance
video cards,  where else would one expect
the 64-bit architecture to matter on a typical
desktop?  I'd guess hardware capable of
taking advantage of buses that are 64-bits
wide throughout the machine is going to be
pricey.   As in a server.

     -Bob