[GRLUG] Ubuntu installation problem

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 23:12:11 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 9:11 PM, Steve Romanow <slestak989 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jorge La wrote:
> > I just recently return home from active duty and bought a Presario
> > F700. I tried to install Ubuntu 7.10 on it, but the live CD does not
> > boot correctly. I tried other older distros that I had laying around
> > the house before I left. None of them worked except for DSL and Slax-I
> > was kind of surprised. After some research, I found that this laptop
> > has ACPI problems with linux. I'm not the only one who has problem
> > with Linux on this laptop.
> >
> > I even try to boot with noacpi and acpi off but it still does not boot
> > correctly. Single user and failsafe mode does not boot also. I am very
> > confused. I can install Ubuntu with the Alt installer, but I can not
> > log in, text or GUI mode.
> >
> > any help? (I got home 3 days after the install fest :-/)
>
> If it will install with the alt install cd, I am assuming you have an
> ati video card.  I have had this problem with a couple of laptops.  I
> kinda prefer the alt cd install over the livecd, less flashy, but it
> works.  I see you said noacpi, but some of the google hits I see state
> noapic
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/difference-between-noapic-and-acpioff-kernel-parameters-454675/
>
> Good luck with it.
> I think Ubuntu could probably "work around" this silly ati problem, but
> that would be allowing th ecurrent situation to exist.  By not workign
> around it, ATI (AMD) has more reason to work on their drivers, so they
> can save face with their consumers.

And that makes me extremely angry with Ubuntu.  They took the same
approach with Compiz and the Intel drivers, and so I can't play
StepMania on my (admittedly old) computer at home.  As a result, I
haven't exercised since Gooey Gibbon came out.  I used to dance for
six hours straight on Sundays. (StepMania is a free clone of Dance
Dance Revolution, and I had a "hard" pad custom-built for me.)  On the
StepMania plan, I lost eight inches around the waist.  I've felt it
creeping back over the last month.  Grr.

Ubuntu got their installation numbers by making a distribution that
was a cinch to set up and use.  To turn around and leverage that
distribution against hardware manufacturers at the short-term expense
of their user base is irresponsible and rude.