[GRLUG] Monitor Sleeping, Sorry, My first Post...Ever

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sun Nov 25 17:21:15 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 03:59:33PM -0500, Raymond McLaughlin wrote:
> john-thomas richards wrote:
[snip]
> If you really want to you can try to ssh in and see what's what:
>
> -While on a network let knoppix boot. If you have speakers you should
>   hear "Initiating startup sequence" when it's about ready
> -Do <Ctrl><Alt><F1> and press <Enter>. Even if you can't see it, you
>   are at a root console.
> -Type "/etc/init.d/ssh start <Enter>" (It ought be ".../sshd start"
>   but on Knoppix it isn't.)
> -Then type "passwd" <Enter>" and type in a trivial password
>   such as "12345<Enter>", twice.
> -Find the IP address of the target box, and exercise I'll leave to you.
> -From another box on the network "ssh root at knoppix"
>     Welcome to Knoppix!
>     root at Knoppix:~#
> All this assumes that the machine is working except for the video.
> Working blind like this is weird, and if you fumble you might need to
> reboot. If you get it working, and can't fix the video, you might still
> have a pretty good headless server or router. :)
>
> At least it's an interesting problem!

I cannot do the above; when th  monitor shuts down t e system becomes
unresponsive and requires a hard reboot.  Either I have three identical
machines that happen to have an identical problem, or I am a complete
idiot.

No responses to that last statement are necessary.

Seriously.

;-)
--
john-thomas