[GRLUG] What are you doing to expose people to Linux?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Nov 20 15:49:45 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:33:22PM -0500, Tim Schmidt wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2007 3:20 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> P.S. I'm one of two IT staff at a > 100 employee company rolling out
> Linux backend and desktop solutions daily.  Where we can't use Linux,
> we roll out Firefox, use OO.o wherever we can get away with it, and
> roll our own FOSS web-apps.  I'm also a director of the Open Hardware
> Foundation, supporting the efforts of folks designing hardware in the
> spirit of FOSS - especially the Open Graphics Project.  In what spare
> time I have left, I'm organizing the tech track for the 2008 Penguicon
> in Troy, MI.
>
> Working hard toward FOSS world domination.

Yeah, but other than *that* what are you doing?  :-)

I installed Linux on my parents computer a few years ago.  They use dial-up
for email and *light* web surfing.  Still, they would rather have Windows
because it is what they use at work.  :-(  Then again, they told me recently
about conversations they have with friends who lament various problems with
their computers (i.e., Windows) and they simply could not relate to those
problems.  ("Sometimes you have to reboot to print?  Huh?  How odd...")  They
simply *think* they would rather have Windows.  What they really need is a
newer computer and a faster connection to the internet.
--
john-thomas
------