[GRLUG] A big opportunity for Linux?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 11:52:25 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 10:54 AM, John J Foerch <jjfoerch at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Collin writes:
[snip]
>  > Personally I'd have to call Aero a desperate measure to answer to OSX
>  > but really Aero isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be. It
>  > looks decent. On a 8700GT it runs quite well. It just doesn't have the
>  > same level of eye candy as other interfaces.
>
> On my desktop, I have ZERO window decoration--no frames, no title
> bars, no icons, no "start bar".  (yeah ratpoison!)  I wonder when the
> rest of the world is going to catch up with the *real* forefront of
> technology--pure simplicity.  <g> Though in full disclosure, I am
> strongly considering switching to the window manager xmonad, which
> puts a red frame around the focused window.  :)

You know, that's an interesting point.  At home, I've got a single
1280x1024 screen, and I prefer to have all of my applications are
maximized.  Since I've been doing a lot with IRC lately, I'll usually
leave the foreground window slightly shorter, so I can see the latest
in the channel.

Perhaps a paned window manager would work better for me.  I've been
working with Visual Studio at work, and I take advantage of advanced
toolbar behaviors.  Moving windows around like that could be
convenient.