[GRLUG] A big opportunity for Linux?

John J Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 20 10:54:34 EST 2007

Collin writes:
 > Well... Yes and no... Vista is no Beryl (but what is... Beryl makes OSX
 > look like kid stuff) but unlike Beryl the Aero interface is usually
 > stable and seems to work for most people. I've seen my fair share of
 > stupid things happen with Beryl. Of course, in general 3D just isn't to
 > a really great point on linux just yet. Still, I have an nVidia 8700GT
 > and while it works in Beryl and the effects are fast the system is less
 > stable and some things just seem to not work anymore.
 >
 > Personally I'd have to call Aero a desperate measure to answer to OSX
 > but really Aero isn't as bad as people try to make it out to be. It
 > looks decent. On a 8700GT it runs quite well. It just doesn't have the
 > same level of eye candy as other interfaces.

On my desktop, I have ZERO window decoration--no frames, no title
bars, no icons, no "start bar".  (yeah ratpoison!)  I wonder when the
rest of the world is going to catch up with the *real* forefront of
technology--pure simplicity.  <g> Though in full disclosure, I am
strongly considering switching to the window manager xmonad, which
puts a red frame around the focused window.  :)

--John