[GRLUG] A big opportunity for Linux?

Nathan Drier ndrier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 15:11:08 EST 2007

Steve Romanow wrote:
> Casey DuBois wrote:

Didn't XP get the same kind of welcome?

We all agree that Linux is a superior OS for our needs; Security,
footprint, stability, scalability, cost, and flexibility are all reasons
that I choose to spin up Debian vs windows.  Its just such a huge
mystery to the other 85% of computer users,  even though it has grown
VASTLY over the past 5 or so years (thanks ubuntu).

I'd love for this to be the last straw for consumers dealing with MS and
have them all switch to Open Source,  but I doubt that will happen.  It
will all come down to do we adopt something completely new,  or do we
upgrade to something familiar and deal with the bugs.  Most people stick
with what they know.

Maybe i'm wrong,  maybe MS will die a horrible death and some flavor of
Linux will take over the desktop arena.  We can only hope.