[GRLUG] Describe your intro to Linux

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 21:18:38 EST 2007

My first exposure to Linux was in 1995 or 1996. I was in Barnes and Noble
and bought TurboLinux - a whole operating system for $30! Well, I never did
get that running and ended up in Win95/98 for a long time.

I re-learned about Linux from a friend in a mud circa 2000. I installed
Pre-Fedora core Red Hat 6 (I believe) at home to act as a samba and modem
sharing server for my not-yet-wife and me. We actually played Diablo over a
shared modem link for a couple of years. I then bought a pre-installed Red
Hat 7 server from Dell in 2001 to replace the company's aging Netware
server.

I moved to a Suse server at home in 2002 and brought in a Suse email server
in about 2003. I used Fedora for a while, but yum gave me the fits. Suse
worked well until I needed to upgrade the distro, and then it was a
nightmare.

I never did get Debian to install, but I fell in love with Ubuntu Warty and
have been an Ubuntu man ever since. I got myself off XP at home with Warty,
and I moved my main workstation at work to Ubuntu with Dapper. We now run
Ubuntu Dapper server at for a database and samba network. Our email is now a
Dapper server (on the old Dell Red Hat hardware) with Zimbra.