[GRLUG] Describe your intro to Linux

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:51:50 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 4:36 PM, Douglas Rehfeldt <drehfeldtusa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some of the responses to this thread shows the passion that people can
> have
> for the "simple" computer.  A machine and tool that has both enriched and
> cursed our lives.  As for the operating system and applications, all I can
> say is to find something that works for you.  For me Linux offers a very
> low
> cost and lots of flexibility.  As we all are aware, for the majority of
> people the Microsoft Windows operating system is the answer.  I like
> having
> a choice.

One could argue that the masses didn't
exactly choose M$.  They were in many
ways victims of a monopoly, one so
pervasive that corporations spent tens
of $billions training their employees in
the M$ way.  Now knowing how to use
windoz at some level,  they are unlikely
to change over to Linux.  And few companies
will now pay to help them do it.  It's just less
costly to go with the monopoly.  Simplicity
in the wrong sense.

The US gov't allowed M$ to rule the
software waves for a long time, crippling
many of those who dare depart from the
approved M$ course.

    -Bob