[GRLUG] moving to GR

Collin Kidder adderd at kkmfg.com
Thu Nov 15 08:01:13 EST 2007

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel
>
> A little Linux history.  I've been playing
> with it,  or been around those who have,
> since about 1994.  First with Slackware,
> which came on about 10 compressed
> floppies,  and already worked fine.
>
> I've been in and out of it over the years,
> but never as an IT person.  I mostly
> translated the Unix background I had
> to Linux.  It was only about 15 years
> ago,  if that,  that most of us could get
> our hands on things like AT&T SVR3
> and SVR4.  Before that it was impractical
> for anyone to have a private copy of Unix.
> All to say that it was in and around 1992
> or thereafter that anyone could have any
> kind of person version of Unix or a Unix
> like OS.  Much of a version anyway.
>
>      -Bob

Like Bob, I also got into linux through the old slackware distros on
floppy. I probably still have them laying around somewhere. I believe it
was some time around 1996 - 1997 when I first tried it out. I played
with it off and on after that until about 4-5 years ago when I actually
started using it on servers and 2-3 years ago when I started installing
it on my personal machines too.

Oddly, all this linux experience hasn't caused me to post all of my
emails 40 characters wide so that you feel like you are reading a
teleprompter. ;-)