[GRLUG] moving to GR

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:35:56 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 9:51 PM, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 06:42:32PM -0500, Godwin wrote:
> > Welcome in deed Steve!  Good to have someone with "long time"
> knowledge...  ;-)
>
> Speaking of that, and completely off the topic of this thread, I have used
> Linux now for ten years.  Who on this list has been using it longer than
> that?
>
> --
> john-thomas
> ------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_kernel

A little Linux history.  I've been playing
with it,  or been around those who have,
since about 1994.  First with Slackware,
which came on about 10 compressed
floppies,  and already worked fine.

I've been in and out of it over the years,
but never as an IT person.  I mostly
translated the Unix background I had
to Linux.  It was only about 15 years
ago,  if that,  that most of us could get
our hands on things like AT&T SVR3
and SVR4.  Before that it was impractical
for anyone to have a private copy of Unix.
All to say that it was in and around 1992
or thereafter that anyone could have any
kind of person version of Unix or a Unix
like OS.  Much of a version anyway.

     -Bob