[GRLUG] Editors

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 12:08:39 EST 2007

On Nov 2, 2007 7:40 AM, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:

> All this jazz about writing got me thinking about programming practice and
> coding styles
>
> What about you?
> How do you code?

I prefer to pair on production code for a customer, but I will often go solo
on personal projects or exploratory efforts.

> What's your favorite editor.

I prefer Eclipse for java development.
I used to prefer emacs for all other development.
Now that I've learned vim I can say that I enjoy a lot of the succinctness
of vim's commands compared to Emacs, although Emacs has better split buffer
support then vim.
And now that I own a Mac I will say that TextMate by far beats emacs and
vim. It doesn't have all of the features but it's bundle editor and file
navigation are far superior and far more useful then all of the additional
features of emacs and vim. Of course it's all IMO.

If Emacs or Vim would incorporate textmate like functionality for file
navigation then I think they would probably beat out Textmate in my books,

Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com