[GRLUG] Open DNS was Re: grlug Digest, Vol 20, Issue 24

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Fri Nov 9 08:44:49 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 07:33:24AM -0500, Benjamin Flanders wrote:
> I have nothing but trouble with openDNS.  I tried it for about two
> weeks when comcast DNS servers were flaky a while back.
>
> The issues I had were, I had to (I forget the wording for this)
> reregister google with the service at least twice a day.  This is
> where I would get the message saying that OpenDNS didn't think
> www.google.com was a valid domain name and it went to an openDNS
> webpage where I had to type in a captcha and click a link so I could
> go to Google.  This was a big issue because I use gmail and google
> calendar.
>
> Also, I would get google maps with part of the map not showing up.
> Nothing I did would fix the issue.  It wasn't consistent as to which
> parts of the map would be greyed out but there was usually 3-4 squares
> gone.
>
> The reregister thing happened to a lot of other sites as well, but not
> as consistently as google.
>
> Am I the only one that has the issue?  I remember googling it but not
> finding any remedy.
[sniiiiiiiip]

I have been using OpenDNS' DNS service for some time.  The only problem I
have had is with machine names within a domain.  For example, www.foo.com
works but bar.foo.com may not.

If you have trouble reaching Google, I think I know why googling for help
failed to turn up a remedy.  ;-)
--
john-thomas
------