[GRLUG] Web filter for kids?

Raymond McLaughlin driveray at ameritech.net
Thu Nov 8 21:00:21 EST 2007

Chris Lamrock wrote:
> Hey guys,

SNIP

> I'm also not opposed to blocking everything for the kids and only
> allowing a list of sites that I list...

At the risk of actually answering the question you asked, this last is
not hard to do. Disable DNS for the little ones and put your "whitelist"
of allowed sites, with their IP addresses in /etc/hosts. Maybe you could
teach them to add the inaccessible sites that they want to visit onto a
"wish list" that you can review, perhaps while you sit down with them.
It might take a while to build up a workable set, and it's likely to
need some maintenance, but this plan seems like a start.

Oh, it seems to me that the easiest way to disable DNS only for *some*
users is to make the file /etc/resolv.conf readable to one group and
putting the kids in a group without such permissions.

> Does anyone have any experience with a good content filter for kids and
> linux?

Experience? No, I'm just putting this forward a a plausible idea.
Ray