[GRLUG] Editors

John J Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 2 12:20:47 EDT 2007

Justin Denick writes:
 > All this jazz about writing got me thinking about programming practice and
 > coding styles
 >
 > What about you?
 > How do you code?
 > What's your favorite editor.

Editors--a favorite topic!

I use Emacs with Vi[m]-style key bindings.  I consider Emacs to be, in
general, for all practical purposes, the best program.  Period.  Yet I
have never liked Emacs' default key bindings, so over the years I have
tried many different bindings in Emacs.  This year, for unrelated
reasons, I decided to learn Vim.  I really liked Vim's style of modal
editing, because in command-mode, all the unmodified alphanumeric keys
have useful functions bound to them, as opposed to always being
"self-insert".  I particularly love vim's `dot' command (.).  Still, I
don't see myself switching over to Vim, because Emacs is such an
infinitely more useful program for all kinds of stuff other than
text-editing.  So I use the Emacs packages VIPER, Vimpulse,
Viper-In-More-Modes, and many, many of my own customizations to create
an editing environment that I call "best of three worlds"--emacs, vi,
and vim.

--John