[GRLUG] Ubuntu 7.10

Benjamin Eavey ben at eavey.com
Thu Nov 1 16:41:16 EDT 2007

Bob Kline wrote:
> It's been a couple of weeks now
> since the launch,  does anyone here
> have anything good to say about
> Ubuntu 7.10?

I switched from 7.04 to 7.10 on my home machine and my work laptop.
The home machine was running Feisty perfectly, so I went through the
upgrade procedure to bring it to 7.10.  My work laptop was all kinds of
messed up anyway, so I wiped it clean and installed from scratch.

I'm generally happy with both boxes, but I'm much more satisfied with
the laptop that was loaded fresh.  Everything is snappy and works well,
and I even have dual-screen 3D effects now with the latest ATI driver
(it's about time they got AIGLX working).  The only problem I ran into
was configuring the video, simply because I wanted to use the new driver
(not included in the distro), and it's still a bit funky with dual
screens.  The end result is fantastic, though.  I have absolutely no
complaints now, and it runs great.

The home machine, for whatever reason, seems to be a little pokier after
the upgrade.  I'm still quite happy with it, but there are some things
that take just a bit longer than they used to.  Most noticeable is the
time it takes to get to a desktop after logging in, which has gone from
just a few seconds in Feisty to nearly a minute in Gutsy.  Granted, I
haven't bothered to troubleshoot the problem at all, so it might be
something simple.  Hard to say.

I like Gutsy a lot.  I'd probably recommend installing fresh as opposed
to upgrading, based on my own weird slowness experience and on what I've
read from others about their own upgrade woes.  Google around and see
what people are saying.

Overall, I'd say it's worth it...

-Ben