[GRLUG] Linux software recommendation for mp3 player

Ben Rousch brousch at orthicomp.net
Fri May 18 15:32:34 EDT 2007

> Again, what apps are must-have for KDE these days?  Back in KDE's 1.0
> days konqueror was must-have (since the only other options were links
> and Netscape <shudder>).  Since I was using konqueror I also used
> other
> KDE apps.  I have not used KDE in *years* and so I do not follow the
> slate of apps that are part of it.  I am willing to try new software.
> What apps do you think are really cool?  Sell me, man, sell me!
> --
> john-thomas
> ------
> Secrecy, being an instrumenet of conspiracy, ought never to be the
> system of
> a regular government.
> Jeremy Bentham, jurist and philosopher (1748-1832)

I used KDE in Kubuntu for two years or so and the things I really liked that were KDE-centric were Amarok, Kontact, and Kopete. Amarok handled music - whether the music came from CD, mp3, flac, or an Internet stream, it was handled by one program. I didn't have to use different programs depending on the music source. I liked Kopete better than GAIM because it had more options for handling incoming message alerts and which actions had sounds. Kontact brings together separate calendar, address book, email, and palm syncing software into a single integrated interface. In a Unix-like tradition, each of its parts operates fine on its own and plays well with whatever else you want to plug into it.

Of course, all of these programs are available for use in Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and Enlightenment, but the colors, menus, and icons were better integrated by default with KDE. I am not a fan of shine (which I usually refer to as "fluff"), but I do like being able to customize most of the desktop environment without having to mess with config files.

Lately, I find myself using more web apps: Zimbra has taken the place of Kontact and Evolution, and Meebo has taken the place of GAIM and Kopete. Having everything available via a browser makes it very easy to move between machines and locations.

--
- Ben Rousch