[GRLUG] Linux software recommendation for mp3 player

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:15:27 EDT 2007

On 5/17/07, john-thomas richards <jtr at jrichards.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 08:13:06AM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
> > On 5/17/07, Godwin <geektoyz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > A similarly featured, yet more gtk-based (as opposed to mono-based)
> > > app... Rhythmbox. Also recognizes ipods and the like.
> >
> > Rhythmbox fails to recognize MTP devices.  I'm going to give Banshee a
> > shot, but does anyone know of a media manager for Linux that supports
> > MTP?
>
> That is exactly what I need.  This is one of those times that I ask
> myself why in the world has the OSS world not created this already (I
> asked it back in 1997 when browsers were *awful* in the Linux world).
> Most of the applications that I have come across that purport to sync
> with mp3 players are really audio players for your computer that have
> playlist-editing features.

On a hunch, I checked aptitude to see if Ubuntu Feisty had a libmtp
package.  It does, but the only three packages which depend on it are
amarok, gnomad2 and libmtp5-dev.

So it looks like amarok and gnomad2 are the only two media managers in
Feisty that support MTP devices.  I realize you run Debian, but you
should be able to find supporting software in a similar manner.