[GRLUG] Poll: Linux interests and availability

John Willison jdwillison at charter.net
Mon May 7 23:44:00 EDT 2007

> In the interest in having meetings targeted at appropriate audiences
> at appropriate times, I'd like to ask a few questions.
>
> 1. Are you interested in Linux for personal or professional purposes?
	I work with the primary solutions as being MS/Citrix with few being of
that a Linux flavor. I run solely Linux at home. So I would say both
personal and professional with the emphasis on interoperability with
other platforms.
> 2. What do you use Linux for?
Exploration and education and just about anything. I didn't get where Im
at by just reading the manuals and money had defined role in this
adventure.

> 3. What kinds of meeting times would be most suitable for your
> schedule?  Weekends? Weekdays?  Business hours?
Weekends anytime in the afternoons, weekdays after 7:30 pm no later than
9:30-10 pm

> 4. Are you interested in meetings primarily for topical presentations,
> or are you more interested in question-answer periods and one-on-one
> discussion?
More or less I would like to have topics of interest that would be voted
on by the group for the next meeting with a little homework.  Say a
topic could be setting up a domain server find a few that are interested
in setting one up (different disros of course and evaluate it  based on
its functionality and ease of use) Most of my experiences with Linux had
been from something brought to me evaluated on and then I went to
explore it on my own after wards knowing that someone already did it to
help me along if I get stuck. Doing it is all part of the experience of
sharing it. Kinda like a book club but instead of 1 title/topic that
everyone reads, have a topic/title with different sources.

> If enough people are interested, I'd suggest that we have a second set
> of meetings, a monthly social-type event where we'd have some food and
> have walkthrough-type activities and peer discussion instead of the
> top-down presentation model we have at normal meetings.

I agree with that! I Remember the days of BBS and user meetings of being
totally informal. Just to kick back with like minded people share
stories enjoy some food/drink and by all means network. I know my
company is looking for sharp candidates. I am always on the lookout for
talented personable individuals to work with (There is a referral bonus
of 500 bucks for me if hired).

I enjoy helping and teaching others about what I learned over the years
because its fun!

I say have 2 meetings a month 1st informal shoot the shit throw some
ideas around for a more formal type of meeting of howto's, reviews and
support Q&A.

The company I work for does this weekly and all of us engineers rarely
miss it because it really is worth it attending. I would even help out
with the organizing process. (who ever is in charge contact me and let
me know what I can do)

Thanks for letting me stand on my soapbox

John Willison