[GRLUG] top-posting & netiquette

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun May 6 21:38:54 EDT 2007

On 5/5/07, David Pembrook <david at pembrook.net> wrote:
> Marc Zuverink wrote:
> > phillip hebenstreit wrote:
> >
> >> HI everyone,
[snip]

> >> I think there is a netiquette about The title of ones posts; shouldn't
> >> they be changes to "top-posting" or "netiquette ".   if people are
> >> going to argue over these things why not follow all the rules?   (I
> >> don't mean to be mean, just trying to be logical)
[snip]
> >> phill
[snip]

> > I too believe that to be correct.
> >
> > The original thread has gone too far, if this is going to be such a big
> > issue(and I somewhat believe it to be, especially top posting) then we
> > are all going to have to come to an agreement regarding acceptable
> > practices and such.
> >

> This place is much to anal
>
> My last 2 cents

I'm inclined to agree.  Sometimes I top post, sometimes I embed my
comments in quoted text, and other times I throw it all at the bottom.
 It depends on the context, and thread behavior before my own post.

People who complain of long quoted sections, top-posting and HTML
email often are neglecting one of the core necessary behaviors of a
Users Group: Customer Service.

Complaining about how a question is asked is distracting and
detrimental to conversation.  It is also, to my mind, one of the
things that's caused Linux to take so long to take off for home users.

When I was first getting started, there were no friendly Linux
communities.  It as "RTFM" this and "n00b" that.  It was a real pain
trying to get answers from such communities.

If I hadn't taken a total-immersion approach (I wiped Windows to force
myself to learn how to get everything working in Linux.), I probably
never would have switched.