[GRLUG] GRLUG meetings

Marc Zuverink mzuverink at gmail.com
Sat May 5 18:52:15 EDT 2007

Bob Kline wrote:
<snip>

> On 5/5/07, *Greg Folkert* <greg at gregfolkert.net
> <mailto:greg at gregfolkert.net>> wrote:
>

>    There will probably be a range of opinions
>    about the last question.  Wait and see whether
>    you've whipped everyone in to shape and then
>    decide for yourself.
>
>    The entire  "e-mail etiquette"    episode strikes me
>    as a total triumph of form over  substance.   I suspect
>    many are really not that  concerned about the structure
>    of e-mail as long as there's something worth reading in it.
>
>    Put it to a vote.  If people really want to spend their
>    time worrying about how many sig lines they have,
>    or where a response to a message goes,
>    then it can become group law.  Maybe assign
>    an e-mail tsar with absolute authority to tongue lash
>    anyone that gets out of line.  That should do wonders
>    for the formerly casual atmosphere the GRLUG once
>    had.
>
>    I  notice people intermixing their replies with the
>    original message.  Is that top or bottom posting?
>    Or something else?  At least one person doing it is
>    concerned about top and bottom posting.
>
>    Is intermixing permitted?  Does anyone give a rip?
>
>         -Bob

The issue of netiquette is addressed all over the web, especially in
regards to top posting and snipping out portions of a message you are
replying to.  I believe it originated back in the days of slow internet
connections.

My opinion is that top posting is rude and breaks up the flow of reading
a conversation, which is what a replied to conversation is.

The signature line issue as I have understood it is 5 lines.
Humorous link: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/
Other useful links: http://www.albion.com/netiquette/

http://www.albion.com/netiquette/book/index.html
                                http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html
Theres a wealth of rfc regarding these issues as well as various FAQ's,
maybe we need to adopt some like the following:

Thats my 2 cents,.

--
Marc Zuverink <mzuverink at gmail.com>

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
               -Hunter S. Thompson