[GRLUG] Dell gives the go-ahead for Linux

Ron Lauzon rlauzon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 15:30:32 EDT 2007

Bob Kline wrote:

> Dell sold Linux before,  and quit.  No explanations.  I suspect M$ put
> on the squeeze.

Very probably true.  Microsoft asserts that any computer sold without an
OS means that the person buying the PC will pirate Windows (yet they
have no facts to back that up).  So they tell OEMs like Dell "if you
sell a PC without an OS, we won't sell Windows to you at the OEM
price."  The OEM price is significantly lower than what you would pay
for the boxed Windows at the store.  So the OEMs gave in to Microsoft's
demands - otherwise they would be at a significant price disadvantage.

I think that Dell has enough ammo so that if Microsoft comes back with
"Selling a Linux PC is like selling a PC without an OS" that Dell can
take Microsoft to court if MS tries to up the price on Windows to punish
Dell.

> The only question now as I see it is how long Dell will sell Linux
> this time,  and whether it will promote the feature at all, as in
> "save $60 ( $75? ) on your next machine,"  since M$ doesn't
> automatically get loaded.

I expect to see at least a $100 price drop for a Linux PC.  Especially
when Dell says that they won't support the Linux PCs they ship (they
will support the hardware, but if you have Linux problems, you need to
go elsewhere).

--
Ron Lauzon - rlauzon at acm dot org
   Homepage: http://7lauzon.home.comcast.net/

   DNRC: Lord of All Things That Are Fattening

   "To be sure, conservative radio talk show hosts have a built-in
   audience unavailable to liberals: People driving cars to some
   sort of job." - Ann Coulter

Microsoft Free since July 06, 2001
Running Mandriva Linux 2007