[GRLUG] Cheap Laptop Needed

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:59:09 EDT 2007

In a simplified form:

The BIOS handles POST, the Power-On Self Test, to make sure there
aren't any major hardware failures.  It then assigns IRQs to the
devices on the PCI bus.  It then boots the system, be it off the
network via PXE, hard disk, floppy disk or a CD/DVD with El Torito.

If you want the BIOS to do something before loading the system
bootloader, you'd want to do it after assigning IRQs.