[GRLUG] Cheap Laptop Needed

Collin adderd at kkmfg.com
Fri Mar 30 14:38:20 EDT 2007

Reread my post about how the IP address gives you nothing. You'll be
hard pressed to get the local PD to put down their donuts long enough to
try to convince the ISP to give up who that IP was registered to. It is
simply not worth their time unless the theft was quite large in value.

Even so, a lot of ISP's intentionally try not to have that sort of data
laying around. So they'll just as likely say "whoops, can't find it." If
you do get the address info then what if they parked outside a coffee
shop or some shmuck's house with an unprotected WIFI. You really can't
count on this route to pan out at all. The only real proof of where the
device is is if it's got a GPS transponder of some sort and can phone
back it's location.