[GRLUG] Utility box

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 15:44:18 EDT 2007

On 3/25/07, Topher <topher at wcsg.org> wrote:
> > Well, that kinda depends on the app. Skype is real easy.. in the
> > settings it offers a choice using the sound cards by name. Teamspeak by
> > device name.. In my case its essential to get my headset on the second
> > cards and let everything else go to the speakers. Real easy in that
> > case.
>
> Ah, I see.  I was hoping I'd get something like a second volume control
> system or something.  Ah well.  :)

Run alsamixer, gnome-alsamixer, or whatever the KDE equivalent is.
You get a separate volume control for each ALSA device.

Per-app issues apply when you want a specific application to output
audio to a specific device.  The application needs to have a
configuration option that allows you to select which device your audio
output should go to.  Most applications dedicated to audio have such
configuration options.