[GRLUG] What is Linux ?

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Sat Mar 24 08:37:04 EDT 2007

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:51:21PM -0400, Alan wrote:
> Like Richard Stallman says, it should be GNU/Linux.
> Linux just sounds better than GNU and penguins are cuter than gnus.
> To me, GNU's free code is more about Freedom than code.
> but i'm just an end user, not a coder.

I have never understood this.  If Mercury uses SnapOn tools to build my car,
would I call it a SnapOn/Mercury Sable?  I realize this illustration is
lacking.  To be more accurate, SnapOn *parts* would have to be used in my car
and not just SnapOn tools.  Just because I have General brand tires on my car
does not make my car a General/Mercury Sable.  One could argue that having xorg
on a "Linux" box is just as vital (in terms of usefulness) as having GNU tools.
Therefore, one should run an xorg/Linux box.  Perhaps a GNU/xorg/Linux box?
One of Stallman's arguments for calling Linux "GNU/Linux" is that GNU software
comprised 28% of the code in a Linux distribution ("the largest single
contingent").  See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html.  I wonder what it
is today.  KDE and xorg have a lot more code today than just a few years ago.
The kernel itself has a lot more code than a few years ago, due to the addition
of drivers.  (According to the above link, Linux was just 3% of the code.)
What about OpenOffice.org?  Surely OpenOffice.org is the largest contributor of
lines of code in any distribution.  Therefore, from this day forth, we shall
call our [operating system | distribution | kernel | whatever]
OpenOffice.org/Linux.

Is it me or does it feel like 1998 again?  :-)
--
john-thomas
------