[GRLUG] What is Linux ?

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Sat Mar 24 00:05:01 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 13:43 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
> Just an out of the way discussion item:
> What is Linux?
[snip]

That is the crux. The question. The need to be defined.

First off, I think I need to be clear, "Linux" is used 3 different ways.

     1. Linux is an Operating System Kernel. The heart of an operating
        system. Going by "strict" measures... this *IS* what Linux is.
        The kernel sits in between the kernel-mode, user-mode and user
        programs and the hardware. It communicates with the keyboard,
        Video card, hard drive controllers, memory, processor(s). The
        programs like "Firefox" or "OpenOffice.org" or "man" are all
        managed by the kernel, in some way shape or form.
     2. Linux is also used to represent the "Operating System". The
        Kernel (see #1) all by itself is not enough to make a "machine"
        workable, or functional. This definition is the "Linux as a
        foundation" of system tools or programs and bootstrap pieces in
        order to form a more perfect machine. Many pieces from other
        projects are used as a part of this definition, like the GNU
        compiler, gnutools (tar, cpio etc.) and libc sets, or Perl or
        straight shell (bash, dash, pdksh... etc). In my case, a minimal
        Debian install, before task select is run is what I call this my
        definition of "Minimal Linux", being about 120MB in size.
     3. Linux is also used in a third form, that of a distribution. This
        is by far the most combinatorial of the definitions. This could
        be anything from Coyote Floppy Linux with 3 - 1.44 floppies to
        Debian GNU/Linux 4+ DVDs and growing. A distribution of Linux is
        what an organization determines what it wants to be.

As you can see, this really is all about how is it perceived, not a
formal declaration. Even Linus Torvalds uses it different way rom time
to time. Mainly though he uses the first definition, as it is his baby.
But ask Linus what he runs on his computer...

I believe that Linux is each of these definitions separately and all
three at once.
greg, greg at gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux