[GRLUG] What is Linux ?

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 16:57:30 EDT 2007

Linux is the de jure name of the kernel.  But it is also the de facto
name of the paradigm surrounding the construction of virtually every
Linux distribution.

That paradigm is what draws people to using software dependent on the
Linux kernel.  The kernel itself doesn't draw many users.

(Though I think it would be pretty cool to see a distro which was
nothing more than a multi-threaded Forth interpreter on top of the
Linux kernel.)