[GRLUG] laptops

Roberto Villarreal rvillarreal at mktec.com
Wed Mar 21 19:22:38 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007 19:05, Nathan Drier wrote:

> Now,  my linux-related question is this.  What laptops do you guys run?
> Distros?  Any brands you hate / love?  Horror Stories?  How is linux
> compatability?

I've had experience with two laptops, and both have been positive.  The first
was a Dell (sorry, it's at home and I don't remember the model).  That has
run Debian, FreeBSD, and Gentoo, all three distros supporting all the
components (that I use) to fullest capabilities (i.e. network, video card,
etc.).

The other is a HP Compaq nc8000.  Hardware-wise, it's had issues (it's been
sent back to fix something related to power and a 'blotchy' display), but it
terms of running Linux (Debian), it was very easy and very compatible.  I've
always had a bad opinion of Compaqs (based on experience with others'
computers), but this laptop somewhat put them in a better light.  With my
latest desktop, which is HP/Compaq, my opinion has been brought back down
again, but that's a story for another post.  Long story short, if you are
looking at a laptop (chip) that is VT-enabled, *do your research*.  My
HP/Compaq desktop has a chip that supports VT, but HP turns it off, without
advertising it, on some models, and without giving the ability to turn it on.

Hope that helps.

Roberto