[GRLUG] Hosting Companies

Topher topher at wcsg.org
Wed Mar 14 12:08:06 EDT 2007

> Last July there was some discussion about the best web hosting
> companies. Lunarpages and Dreamhost were pointed out as being
> particularly good.  I did some research and found some old Lunarpages
> and Dreamhost sucks pages and some recent issues with both hosts.  I am
> taking the "xyz sucks" pages with a grain of salt, but the stories are
> still worrying.
>
> I trust the lug to point me in the right direction.  I am looking at
> playing with RoR or other frameworks and perhaps going public with my
> app.  The price points for the two aforementioned services are about
> right for me, and the large disk space and bandwidth limits are
> excessive for right now, but who knows about the future, I just might
> need them.  I can dream big right?
>
> Any thoughts on hosting companies?

First off, let me say I know *nothing* about Lunarpages, so they may suck
or rock for all I know.

I've hosted with Dreamhost for several years now and been very happy.
There've been the occasional issues, but they're very up front about them,
and in my opinion work as fast as possible to get them fixed.  I have
recommended them, and would continue to do so.

I've never done RoR there, but I asked a friend who has, and he said "It's
not bad.  not 100% up to date but not bad".  So, if you need cutting edge
it may not be for you, but if you're just learning, building, and messing
around, it looks good.

And in a moment of wild selfishness, if you go here first I get a
"reward".  http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?43866

Topher
Manager of Internet Services
Cornerstone University Radio

------
"You know what really makes me sleepy?  Playing my bugle."  - Ernie