[GRLUG] Hosting Companies

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 12:04:17 EDT 2007

On 3/14/07, Benjamin Flanders <flanderb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last July there was some discussion about the best web hosting companies.
> Lunarpages and Dreamhost were pointed out as being particularly good.  I did
> some research and found some old Lunarpages and Dreamhost sucks pages and
> some recent issues with both hosts.  I am taking the "xyz sucks" pages with
> a grain of salt, but the stories are still worrying.
>
> I trust the lug to point me in the right direction.  I am looking at playing
> with RoR or other frameworks and perhaps going public with my app.  The
> price points for the two aforementioned services are about right for me, and
> the large disk space and bandwidth limits are excessive for right now, but
> who knows about the future, I just might need them.  I can dream big right?
>
> Any thoughts on hosting companies?

Linode has decent prices on virtualized servers.  I've had a machine
with them for over a year with absolutely excellent service, and they
keep upgrading it.  I started with 64Mb ram, 2Gb drivespace, 5Gb
bandwidth for $19.99 and I'm up to 256Mb ram, 8Gb storage, 100Gb
bandwidth for the same price.  In just over a year.

--tim