[GRLUG] linux move to Windows

John Karns johnkarns at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:31:54 EDT 2007

On 3/12/07, eah <darth_linux at ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2007 08:23:42 phillip hebenstreit wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > This is painful, but a friend wants to replace this linux box with a
> > windows server.  He wonders if there will be any issues with the migration?
> >  He thinks this might be acting as the Domain Server somehow because it is
> > their only server and they have many windows client PC's.  Can anyone tell
> > based on his listing below?
> >
> > How can he tell which version of linux is being used?  He tried to use
> > "ver" and "version", but got command not known.
> >
> He needs to try "uname -a" to find out.
>
> (what a shame)

I agree with the poster who was surprised that this person is trying
to replace a server which he doesn't know what it does. (sigh)

Anyway, the info returned by the 'uname' command is pretty much
restricted to the kernel version.  Most Linux distros I've used have
the distro name and version in /etc/issue.

--
JK