[GRLUG] Fast Linux machine

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 10:03:34 EST 2007

On 3/6/07, Al Tobey <tobert at gmail.com> wrote:
> You mean something like high-availability NFS or Samba on top of  GFS
> or OCFS2?    I think that's what Red Hat is pushing for such
> situations.

GFS and OCFS2 assume a multipath storage subsystem separate from the
network, like fiberchannel...  You can abuse NBD to make them work
with just network connections, but it's ugly.  HA NFS or Samba make a
decent user-facing service...

What I want is a filesystem you can tell to use partition / disk
/dev/X and interface ethX and use whatever space is available on
whatever similarly configured disks on the network, to make your data
as robust as possible.  Something like http://www.cleversafe.org/dsgfs
but without getting postgreSQL involved.

--tim