[GRLUG] tiny vm

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 19:08:10 EDT 2007

I second that (Debian easy install).  I too downloaded the business cd
image and installed both a VM and my home file server (soon to
"hopefully" become a RADIUS server for my wifi).  I unchecked
everything from the install options.  I mean, everything, from the
home box, then apt-get'ed what I wanted (samba, etc).

It could only have been easier if someone else had done it for me.
;-)  What kind of VPN technology does your work use?  Most use
PPTP/L2TP for Winderz users' built-in client.  The Gnome Network
Manager allows you to setup a PPTP based vpn in no time flat.  Just
install:

network-manager-gnome
network-manager-openvpn
network-manager-vpnc

and it will grab dependencies.  Use only MSCHAPv2 and strong
encryption because PPTP is easily crackable otherwise.  If IPSec
based, then a manual config of openswan is a cinch as well.  I've done
several... (never behind another router/firewall though).

Use "hamachi" on your home linux box and your work Winderz PC and you
can securely VNC into your linux Gnome desktop easier than you can
spit upwards.  Now, why you'd want to spit upwards - I dunno.  But,
you gotta admit is easy.  ;-)

post what you find/decide.

cheers,
G-