[GRLUG] COMCAST and TERRIBLE DNS

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Thu Jan 18 13:14:48 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 08:48:59AM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 18:11 -0500, john-thomas richards wrote:
> > >
> > > /etc/resolv.conf
> > >
> > > The above file contains the DNS servers of your system.  In my case, it
> > > gets refreshed every hour or so.
> > > I have a /etc/resolv.conf.ron file out there and when I notice that my
> > > DNS is resolving slowly, I just copy it over /etc/resolv.conf.
> > >
> > > But you can change it in the router if you want.  I can also set my
> > > system to not get DNS information from the DHCP request and instead use
> > > the servers that I tell it to.
> >
> > Google and man pages notwithstanding, how, pray tell, does one configure one's
> > machine to use preconfigured DNS and not the info from one's DHCP server?  I
> > would love to do this...
>
> Depends on what distro you are using.
>
> On Debian's Etch and Sid, I use:
>
>         in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
>
>                 prepend domain-name-servers server-ip-address;
>
> That way *IF* your DNS server you are using dumps it will still fallback
> to your crappy COMCAST service.

Okay.  I am *slow*, not *stupid*.  Well, maybe a little stupid.  It seems I do
not have a /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file anywhere on my system.  This, of
course, got me thinking.  Apparently, I have configured my Linux box with a
static IP address on my LAN.  This means my /etc/resolv.conf file is not being
overwritten.  I must have changed that in the recent past, but I do not recall
doing so.  Why that did not occur to me before I am not sure.

Wait.

Yep.  Stupid is it.  Thanks for playing, though!
--
john-thomas
------