[GRLUG] Free FON router

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 10:12:35 EST 2007

On 2/13/07, Benjamin Eavey <ben at eavey.com> wrote:
> > I think something is wrong with mine. I left it plugged in overnight
> > and it was too hot to touch in the morning. I unplugged it and set it
> > aside for now. Any ideas why it would get so hot?
>
> No idea.  Mine is wall-mounted, and it was barely even warm when I
> checked it this morning.  I only set it up yesterday, though, so I'll
> keep an eye on it.  It's a nice little router!
>
> One weird thing I noticed is that I'm unable to connect to the public
> side of it from my Ubuntu laptop.  The private side works, but the
> public doesn't.  I can connect from my Palm TX, so I know it's not a
> problem with the FON box itself.  I'm using NetworkManager to handle the
> connections in Ubuntu.  Anyone else notice this problem?

I've had nothing but trouble with Ubuntu's network manager since
upgrading to Edgy, so I do everything from the command line.  As a
side benefit, I get a better picture of what's happening when things
go wrong. (If Ubuntu's network manager displayed the console output
from dhclient, I'd be much happier.)

Try using ifconfig, iwconfig and dhclient directly, rather than
network manager or ifup/ifdown.