[GRLUG] Free FON router

Godwin geektoyz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 01:12:27 EST 2007

I've had mine since like Thurs of Fri last week and have left it on
overnight w/o trouble.  Yeah, I could probably keep my buttered toast
warm on it though.  ;-)

It *is* one kewl little router.  Mine has firmware 0.7.0 r4, which has
the web page vuln.  Needless to say, once I ssh in, I change all
kindza things.  I turn the http daemon off altogether, run my own
iptables set and stuff...

Did you guys have to log into fon.com to configure it (*activate it*)?
 I didn't.  I'm guessing they keep track of it's MAC address in
relation to your account (from shipping records).  I read a post that
said once it connects to FON, it automatically downloads the latest
firmware (as a *hotfix*), which you can only undo by reseting it w/
the button underneath.

The one thing I noticed both from posts and experience is that if it
can't communicate with FON for a long time, whenever you try to browse
the web, you're redirected to the router's page letting you know.  I
probably shouldn't say, but...  it's a port 8080 redirect.  There are
a few scripts to change and it's wide open.  <disclaimer> it may void
*proper* usage clause </disclaimer>  ;-)

Research stuff like usage of "dropbear" (ssh client/server), "dnsmasq"
(dns-relay/dhcpd), "hostapd" (access point/authenticator), etc. for
your tweaks.  So far, the one thing I haven't worked out is the public
wifi.   I can connect to it w/ my laptop if I "iwconfig wlan0 essid
whatever enc off", but no dhcp is offered.  I think it's a matter of
tweaking dnsmasq and relaunching it though.

I have 3 wifi devices @ home now which I've used to share internet w/
my neighbor for like 2 or 3 years.  Yeah, I can microwave stuff too
(by just setting a plate by my small network).  I haven't looked yet,
but does anyone know if they have openswan, openvpn or other vpn
daemons for OpenWRT?

G-

On 2/12/07, Jesse Munroe <munroej at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll plug mine in and see how it goes,  however due to the small form
> factor, I'd believe that it would get rather hot.  My dlink wireless router
> is usually warm or hot to the touch, and I've had it running nonstop for
> years, so I wouldn't worry too much.
>

> On 2/12/07, adderd at kkmfg.com <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:
> > Well I'm certainly going to keep a close eye on mine then! I'll let
> > everyone know tomorrow morning if such a thing occurs here.
> >
> > On Mon, February 12, 2007 10:00 pm, Kyle Smith wrote:
> > > I think something is wrong with mine. I left it plugged in overnight
> > > and it was too hot to touch in the morning. I unplugged it and set it
> aside
> > > for now. Any ideas why it would get so hot?

> Fonera

Ubber::Geek
http://grlug.org/