[GRLUG] Kubuntu 7.10 monitor issue

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:22:07 EST 2007

Following up on a thread from November 1,
I installed Kubuntu 7.04 on a machine and
found that while the monitor type is correct
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf,  other parameters are
not.  This results in vertical colored lines about
every inch across across the screen.

I then installed Kubuntu 7.10 as an upgrade.
I have no reason to think the devices were
investigated or changed during the upgrade,
and that I can tell nothing was changed.  In
particular,  the monitor parameters are still
not correct, and I still get the vertical colored
lines.

I played around with the settings a bit, but
nothing useful resulted.

So the question is this.  If I wanted to run
the setup software manually that is using during
the installation, or, presumably, when a new
device is installed,  what is it called?

Why do that?  I'm not sure. I have read that
people have done this and it cured what was
ailing their Kubuntu system.

The machine uses the Intel i810 chip set.
I gather there are problems between this and
Kubuntu.  This machine and the monitor
worked fine with a version of Mandriva,  so
I have no reason to suspect any hardware
problems.  That I can tell so far,  the monitor
is the only hardware issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?

    -Bob