[GRLUG] I guess this is the last.

Marc Zuverink mzuverink at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 10:49:30 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 9:39 AM, Collin Kidder <adderd at kkmfg.com> wrote:

> > Did he just dump us for not conforming to his ideology?
> > I guess this must be how Bill Gates feels when people
> > move to Linux.  :-)
> Well, to be fair I think he just ditched the list because people are too
> skittish to insist on decent posting standards. The very fact that this
> topic comes up on every mailing list on the planet on a nearly monthly
> basis would suggest that it's not something you can just ignore. It's
> got to be dealt with whether people have the guts to or not. And, well,
> some people take it more seriously than others I guess. ;-)

I can not believe we have had to have yet another posting(series of postings
and are losing members over the way people choose to post.  The last I
checked the RFC there was no directive regarding the proper way to post and
or reply.

Personally I do not like top posters, yet do it on occasion for a quick
answer on a series of rapidly fired off email in a conversation with a
single individual, when and when reading the whole thread is impractical due
to the little time involved in the series of exchanges.
I do however feel its important to not top post on a mailing list for the
benefit of people who start following a thread late.  Its just more natural
to read the whole exchange and replies in it original context.  however,
when people do not show such courtesy it is really not that difficult to
decipher whats being said, provided you have patience and a brain.
Tolerance here I think is the key.  If someone wants to depart the list over
something that is really quite trivial, well then let im take himself else
where's.  Granted he has contributed positively to the list in the past and
I am sure he will be sorely missed by some, including myself.
That said, I do find it disturbing that he has been unable to move past such
trivial issues.
I for one will welcome him back with open arms if he so chooses to come back
in the future.  I hope he does.
And I have found what he has stated regarding posting to be exactly the way
I 99.9% of the time operate, and agree with him whole heartedly regarding
the issues he has addressed.
I am disturbed though by his lack of tolerance.  I think that their are a
portion of people on this list who are stubborn and cannot change their
ways, and of course other who just don't care, they get their message out
and thats whats important to them, they've been heard and hopefully their
issues have been resolved.  I am not pointing ay fingers at anyone, thats
not what I am writing this for.
I am writing to plead for tolerence and overall a call to everyone to
understand human nature.  People and the way they do things are all unique.
I thinks its a waste of bandwidth to have a 40 thread conversation regarding
the way that one cat posts all his messages as if they are typewritten to be
printed in a newspaper, who cares how he posts?  The fact is we are supposed
to be a community and critisizing people for there methods and running away
are not ways to solve problems.  Furthermore I think most will agree that
style of posting is not such a big deal.
Netiquette and etiquette are all subjective and are applied differently bt
different people and different cultures.
In some parts of our globe it's considered proper eiquette to belch after a
meal to demomstrate you enjoyed the meal.  If someone did that at one of the
LUG meetings, would some smug member then quite after that too?
I'm dumbfounded by this whole issue, its ridiculous.
I've said my peace, thanks for listening

--
Marc Zuverink <mzuverink at gmail.com>

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but
they've always worked for me.
-Hunter S. Thompson