[GRLUG] Linux desktop marketshare

john-thomas richards jtr at jrichards.org
Tue Dec 11 18:12:14 EST 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 05:39:21PM -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 16:30 -0500, Bob Kline wrote:
> > On Dec 11, 2007 12:48 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > On Dec 11, 2007 12:34 PM, Don Wood <dond at standalelumber.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > But it is the case that bandwidth in general is getting scarce now.
> > Most of the fiber laid in the heady dot-com 1990s was never activated.
> > There's a lot of potential capacity out there in the form of fiber
> > backbone,  but rather less actual capacity.
>
> I have one question for you... do you know whom owns about 40% of all
> Dark Fiber in the US, out right... and has at least a 25% interest in
> MOST other Dark Fiber in the US and at least a 10% (or more) stake in
> much of the Dark Fiber around the world?
>
> I'll let you Google for the answer.

Heh.

[snip]

> BTW, see how nicely and well formatted message with in-line replies and
> with proper snipage, makes the entire conversation much more readable?

I am a member of another list that is *decidedly* non-technical (well,
it is a theology list so it can be *quite* technical, but not a computer
tech) and after reading yet another response with text in red stuffed
into text in blue with the old "my responses are in red" bit, I posted
a few paragraphs about the joys of spending more time figuring out who
is responding to whom than on the content of the message, I was asked
to provide an article explaining the rules of etiquette specifically
for mailing lists.  Other than the RFC, do any of you know of a simple
explanation of mailing list etiquette (exploring such issues as inline
quoting, snipping, etc.)?  I could write one but why reinvent the
toaster?  (The wheel is soooo cliche...)

[snip]

Wow.  Tacitus was *brilliant* (see my .sig).   Anyone else longing for
a good old government shut-down that lasts, say, a year or so?  ;-)
--
john-thomas
------