[GRLUG] Linux desktop marketshare

Ben Rousch brousch at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:30:11 EST 2007

On Dec 11, 2007 1:17 PM, Don Wood <dond at standalelumber.com> wrote:

> I agree with the author about the adoption of desktop Linux is going to
> probably begin with low-end pcs. Or as we discussed in the last lug
> meeting that companies that are being forced by the economy to look at
> their current practices and find lower cost substitutes. His
> generalization of Internet access is superfluous to the topic imho.

Speaking of low-end PCs, I have been an Ubuntu user since Warty, and I have
noticed that it gets a little more bloated with each new version. Gutsy is
very pretty, but I am swapping a lot more often than I used to on the same
hardware (Thinkpad T20 with 512 and Thinkpad T30 with 512MB). I have tried a
few of the ultra-stripped down distros (DSL and Puppy), but they tend to be
ugly and lack a lot of functionality I have come to expect such as
fully-functional Firefox/Flash/Java. I have also tried Xubuntu, but you lose
a lot of the Gnome polish that makes Ubuntu so user-friendly. Are there any
polished distros that target computers with 1-2GHz procs and 512MB of RAM?
Computers - especially laptops - with those specs are very cheap these days
and it would be nice to have something pretty and functional to install on
them.