[GRLUG] NOT Linux

Don Wood dond at standalelumber.com
Tue Dec 11 09:30:01 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 09:10 -0500, Scott Huffman wrote:

> This is pretty ridiculous.  Content providers like record companies
> and movie studios etc would have to add that to their terms and
> conditions.  And who's to say that the mp3's I'm sharing with my
> family aren't just home-recorded songs?  DRM is a horrible way to
> police restricted content.  If they had gotten on the ball earlier
> with digital music and video, I doubt "illegal filesharing" would be
> such an issue.
>
> ~S

What really surprises me is there is a digital revolution happening with
media files and the format the users want them in. I don't want to have
to buy a junk cd to get one song I like. I don't want to wait six months
to a year after a movie hits the theater to get it on DVD. If I could
find that song legally for a reasonable cost I would buy it. I know
there are legal ways to do this now but in the days of napster there
wasn't. They chose to fight this movement and still fight it to this
day. I would assume it would have actually been cheaper and easier to
brainstorm a new business model than to pay to fight these legal
battles, attempt to place rootkits on user's machines and just shed an
overall bad light on their business and practices.