[GRLUG] NOT Linux

Bob Kline bob.kline at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 05:38:14 EST 2007

I'm not sure exactly what's being
done here here, but do know that
the RIAA and the MPAA would
dearly love to control people's
computer's so that nothing can be
stored on people's personal hard
drives that those monopolies don't
approve of.

**
Western Digital has blocked users from sharing more than 30 different file
types, if they are using the company's software, called Anywhere Access.
**

People like Orin Hatch, R-UT,  point man
for the MPAA and the RIAA,  contemptuously
claimed that if people didn't heed the wishes
of those monopoly groups their PCs would
be rendered useless.  Never mind that he didn't
know what he was talking about - the intent
is clear enough.

The question is whether a company like WD
will try to implement a hardware solution -
something that looks for a code in a file?

I doubt the industry will stop looking for a
way to prevent people from storing things
on their PCs that it doesn't like.  Failing that,
it will continue to keep suing everyone in
sight,  but I suspect it would prefer PC control.

     -Bob