[GRLUG] For those that think MSOOXML is a good idea...

Joshua Hulst josh at hulst.ws
Thu Dec 6 17:04:29 EST 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007 04:35:39 pm Michael Mol wrote:
> And, really, I like the format.  It's essentially a directory tree of
> XML and public-format image files wrapped in a ZIP file, making it
> close to trivial to script automated document creation.

And there is the difference, it's not a binary file, it's an ISO format, and
there are major players who use it (IBM is backing Open Office).  I'm not
saying that it will never go out of support, but the chances are good that it
won't go out until there is something substantially better and used.  And
even if it does, as you said, you can write scripts to convert, either to RTF
or to the next latest and greatest format.

I guess my main point is that ODF is not dead, far from it, and we shouldn't
be afraid of using it, in fact, we should do all we can to promote it.  ODF
for editable files, PDF for distributables :)

jwh