[GRLUG] Active Partitions

Tim Schmidt timschmidt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 10:44:52 EST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 10:35 AM, Justin Denick <justin.denick at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tim, I thought the same thing too. But LILO (appears) to have
> not been called. LILO has a sort of
> debugger, that lets you know how far it got, if it was called at all.
> Since I see the "No Operating System
> Found / Invalid System Disk " sort of message, I concluded that the
> bootloader was never executed.

Gotcha...  yeah.  That certainly means you weren't getting far past POST :)

> Upon even further investigation I have found that LILO, requires an
> active partition.
> I feel pretty dumb now, and I will no longer taunt GRUB, though I am
> confused as to why the requisite does not follow
> all of my machines.

Right...  well, each machine is probably running slightly different
versions.  Could be that some distributors patched theirs, or just
certain versions, or whatever.  No way to know without a friendly
changelog or bug tracker entry, mailing list message, or looking at
the code itself.

--tim