[GRLUG] Tech magazines for sale or trade - GRLUG-Classifieds

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 21:36:01 EST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 1:24 PM, Bob Kline <bob.kline at gmail.com> wrote:
> My opinion would be to not bother
> for now.  At present there is more
> discussion of multiple lists than
> discussion itself.  If/when the current
> list becomes bogged down with
> meaningful entries it might be time to
> consider fragmenting the topics.

For a community of this size, it really doesn't make sense to fragment
the mailing lists.  Subtopic mailing lists will just grow stale as
people who were once on them stop participating.  You can't really ask
every new person to sign up to the other mailing lists, because you
don't know who the new people are, or when they sign up.

Joe newbie will write a message to the mailing list saying he's got a
PC for sale, and will be told by some person to another to take it to
the classifieds mailing list.  Joe might subsequently post to the
sublist, but, chances are, anyone who might see it there already saw
it on the mailing list, and will have responded if they're interested,
regardless.

I really prefer settling on prefixes for the subject line.  Easy to
figure out once you've seen it, and easy to filter out, if you don't
care for it.  FOR SALE is a good prefix for sales.  WANTED is a good
prefix for anything someone might be looking for.

I don't see how things like copyright (I remember when the argument
against DRM and the DMCA was that you couldn't watch the stuff on
Linux.) and bittorrent filtering (Remember when people used Linux
distros as a prime example of legitimate use?) are offtopic for the
list, but I suppose one could be pendantic and say anything not unique
to Linux could be prefixed with "GENERAL".  But I still think you'd
see more general posts than posts without any prefix.