[GRLUG] power troubles

Jeff DeFouw jeffd at i2k.com
Wed Aug 29 11:08:38 EDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 08:50:18AM -0400, Topher wrote:
> Starting yesterday, my machine has been power cycling about once an hour.
> There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, I'm just working along and
> *poof* it's off.  It comes right back on about 3 seconds later.

That's nothing!  A few weeks back my computer was power cycling every
200 milliseconds!  I had shut it down to do an upgrade and that's how it
thanked me.  You could hear the whine of (probably) the failed
capacitors when the power supply was in standby.  Power supply replaced
under warranty.  A faulty power switch or a bad power supply are the
only things I can think of that would actually power off the computer.

--
Jeff DeFouw <jeffd at i2k.com>