[GRLUG] 7.04

Michael Mol mikemol at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 01:22:22 EDT 2007

On 4/22/07, Michael Mol <mikemol at gmail.com> wrote:
> On that note, anyone know if an in-place upgrade from 6.10 to 7.04
> breaks the Atheros driver?  With my desktop connected via wireless,
> I'm hesitant to upgrade until I know that won't break.

Update: The Atheros driver doesn't get broken in the upgrade.

However, I did wind up discovering why Ubuntu uses UUIDs as a means of
identifying partitions in fstab.  Feisty Fawn marks the switch from
IDE drives being identified as /dev/hd* to being identified as
/dev/sd*.  I wound up having my root partition mounted at / and at
/home, as I'd manually entered the /home fstab entry using device
names instead of UUIDs.

One other bit of weirdness...When I restarted after the upgrade, my
USB keyboard didn't work until after I'd (un/re)plugged it.  I
wouldn't have expected that kind of breakage.

On the upside, SMB/CIFS Networking works again.  Upgrading my Desktop
to Edgy broke it a while back, but it wasn't a serious enough issue to
warrant fixing it.  Upgrading to Feisty returned it to a usable state,
with some minor irritations reminiscent of Dapper. (Workgroups are
visible, but may require multiple attempts to access.)

Ah well.  I'll upgrade my laptop tomorrow, and see what else is new.